Woman's Missionary Union
The first Woman's Missionary Union (WMU) of First Baptist Church of Albemarle was organized in 1894 by Mrs. J. W. Suttle, wife of the pastor at that time. This group consisted of six members who paid monthly dues of ten cents which was to help their call to “Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel.” As the church grew, so did the membership in the WMU which resulted in different groups or circles being formed to study and support mission work around the world.
The tasks of the WMU are to teach missions, engage in mission action and support world missions. These objectives are met through praying and giving, providing and interpreting information regarding the work of the church and the denomination, and reaching as many people or groups as possible through hands-on mission activities.
The current WMU of First Baptist Church consists of two circles who meet monthly. There is also an active program for girls, grades 1 through 6, called Girls in Action, for boys, grades 1 through 6, called Royal Ambassadors and for preschool children called Mission Friends. These groups meet weekly from September through May to study the work of past and current missionaries throughout the world. They also engage in activities on the local level such as visiting the nursing homes, taking cookies to members of the police and fire departments and helping with clean-up activities for shut-ins.